Principal Engineer - Cables
The energy transition is vital to our future and here at PSC, we are compelled to make a difference. We are specialist consultants to the energy industry, an independent firm with global operations. Our teams have been tackling the thorniest problems for some of the most prominent industry players for over 25 years. We provide critical project consulting support for large energy clients, renewable developers, sustainable energy initiatives, and everything in between. Our vision is to empower people to transform the energy industry so that, together we will power a more sustainable world. We do the right thing, we foster bright ideas, we invest in the future and we celebrate success.
At PSC we want work to enhance your life rather than dominating it.
- Thrive in a culture where people are our greatest asset and we truly celebrate and value the individual.
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit, love new ideas and are always looking to improve.
- Understand that everyone has a personal life and provide a flexible work environment.
- Provide amazing growth and leadership opportunities in an autonomous role.
- Are a highly collaborative worldwide team of professionals defining the future of this industry.
- Offer competitive compensation, benefits, and development.
What You’ll Do
Our Principal Consultants are experts in their field! We are trusted advisors on cable system design when developers are looking to connect to the distribution and transmission networks. In addition, we also support utilities and private entities during the development and execution of HVDC Interconnector projects. This role is broad and challenging with huge opportunity to grow - you will have autonomy and accountability. In joining us as a Principal you will further deepen your technical leadership skills, acting as an ambassador for PSC in the cables field.
You’ll be someone who enjoys industry networking and thought leadership. We fully support and encourage you to contribute to publications, white papers and to participate in task forces and working committees (e.g., IEEE, CIGRE). In doing this you will drive business development activities by engaging with potential clients and promoting PSC.
- Cable system designs for HVDC interconnector projects.
- Undertake cable system designs for HVAC cable projects, often with the intention of connecting renewables to the grid.
- Lead the development of onshore cable routing studies.
- Write cable installation methodologies and experience of undertaking cable pulling calculations.
- Lead the development of technical specifications and contribute to tender documentation for HVDC and/or HVAC cable systems and accessories.
- Technical evaluation of tender submissions from cable EPC contractors and ability to lead negotiations with tenderers on behalf of our clients.
- Technical review of EPC contractor cable designs, installation documentation and testing schedules.
- Witness factory acceptance testing, site acceptance testing, commissioning and undertake inspections of cable assets during the installation or operational phase of a project.
Your deep technical knowledge means you can manage all project phases, including developing specifications, documentation, analysis, and reporting. You will have full technical responsibility for projects, as well as guiding and mentoring other team members and taking responsibility for final work outcomes and deliverables.
As an expert in Cables you can present results to clients, articulate complex material easily, and defend results with confidence. PSC and our clients will be relying on your extensive latitude for independent judgment and decision-making.
You’ll be a key part of our growth journey, leading and negotiating proposal activities for clients (commercial and functional). You’ll actively pursue additional business opportunities with existing clients as well as identifying new opportunities for PSC.
Experience we need:
- 15 years + experience in the cable industry
- An undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Specialist knowledge of cable system design and development of HVDC interconnectors.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of HVDC and/or HVAC cable technology.
- Experience as a cable installation contractor, utilities engineer, engineering consultant or renewables developer.
- Great project management skills and ability to manage scope variations and budgets.
- A growth mindset, a compulsion to be better today than you were yesterday.
- Proven track record of coaching other engineers and an interest in helping others to succeed.
- Strong emotional intelligence, the capacity to be vulnerable, and the courage to lead.
- Chartered Engineer or developing towards chartered status.
- Strong industry network and aptitude for business development.
We wouldn’t be where we are today without our amazing people. We are passionate about contributing to a meaningful mission and are proud of our people. If you’ve been searching for a human-centric culture, then perhaps you’ve finally found your match with PSC. If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of then we would love to tell you more.
PSC is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. PSC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.